Friday, December 30, 2011

100 Painted Skulls: #37, #38, #39

To celebrate year 5 of Skull-A-Day (June 2011-June 2012) I've decided to paint 100 skulls on 4 x 4in (10.16 x 10.16 cm) wooden panels over the course of the year... 





I decided to do something a bit different with these. The other day when I was working on one of the paintings I made the eyes and nose first and liked how minimal it was, but I ended up covering it up. So this time I decided to do it on purpose and leave it with just the basics. This technique actually reminded me of working with sumi-e ink, where each choice has to be very consciously made since there's no undoing it. Since it was so minimal I decided to do this as a triptych with the three primary colors. It was fun to experiment a bit (which really is the point of this whole project!).

If you'd like to own one of these you can get them in the Skull-A-Day store! Yellow is HERE, red is HERE, and blue is HERE.

No comments: